Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Forum Login

Ben Francis Cup KO Four — peat STETHS Options
Posted: Friday, October 18, 2013 5:46:34 AM

Groups: Member

Joined: 1/5/2005
Posts: 309
Points: 1,122
strike for Green Pond
Published: Thursday | October 17, 2013 0 Comments

Paul Clarke, Gleaner Writer


A clinical two-goal blitz from Kashaeif Brown and Peter Campbell propelled Green Pond to a comprehensive 4-1 win over William Knibb in the first round of the Ben Francis Cup, in the opening match of the Jarrett Park double-header yesterday.

The win takes them comfortably into the quarter-final round of the knockout competition and keeps their dream of winning a first-ever ISSA schoolboy football title alive.

In other matches, Manchester, which swept by all-comers in their zone and advanced to the knockout phase with limitless ease, handed Christiana a 1-0 defeat at Kirkvine to also book a quarter-final date, while Clarendon College strolled to a big 6-2 victory in eliminating Zone I winners Marcus Garvey High at Juici Beef Complex.

Pringle goal

A 17th-minute strike from Jerome Pringle carried Kemps Hill High to a 1-0 win over Glenmuir, eliminating the Warren Simpson-coached team. The winners will now turn their attention to St. Elizabeth Technical High School (STETHS), which will be keen on defending their title, which they have held for two consecutive years. That match will be at STETHS in Santa Cruz on Saturday.

Green Pond have been living the high life this season and showed just why they are the darkhorse.

William Knibb offered what they could, but the will of the Green Pond team came through in the 34th minute when their leading scorer, Brown, fired them into the lead. It was his 12th goal of the season and he would add his 13th in the 76th minute, to sandwich Peter Campbell's double in the 55th and a stunning crack from just inside the area in the 90th minute to delight coach Gregory Daley.

"I am very satisfied with this result, as we came and played well and got the goals to advance, and in a competition such as this, it's the goals that matter," he said.

"I cannot ask for more than what our strikers are able to provide, and that is a stream of goals and, with that the team seems ready for anything," he added.

Dinthill were eliminated 1-0 by St Mary Technical in their game at Highgate, while it took penalties to decide the winner between Paul Bogle and Port Antonio, with the former advancing by a 4-2 margin.

Quarter-final pairings: STETHS vs Kemps Hill in Santa Cruz, Manchester vs Clarendon College at Kirkvine, St Mary Tech vs Paul Bogle at Highgate, and Green Pond vs winner of Rusea's/Godfrey Stewart, at Jarrett Park.
Posted: Sunday, October 20, 2013 10:12:39 AM

Groups: Member

Joined: 1/5/2005
Posts: 309
Points: 1,122

Fairytale run keeps Green Pond on target

Published: Sunday | October 20, 2013 0 Comments

Paul Clarke, Sunday Gleaner Writer


Green Pond High will meet Manchester High School in one semi-final of the 2013 ISSA/LIME Ben Francis Cup knockout football competition, after the Montego Bay-based school eased past Godfrey Stewart High 2-0 in yesterday's quarter-final at Jarrett Park.

Jerome Haughton and Davaine McKenzie scored second half goals to take them a step closer to their objective of winning their first senior schoolboy football title.

However, to do this they will have to get by one of the strongest teams in the competition, Manchester High, who stopped high-flying Clarendon College 1-0.

"It's a very, very pleasing feeling to know we have come this far with this win," said Gregory Daley, Green Pond's coach.

"The work is not yet done, we face another big-name school on Wednesday, but we will be ready to perform because we want to be in the final, where we expect to lift the title," he said.

Final four

In the other quarter-finals matchups, defending champion St Elizabeth Technical High School (STETHS) waltzed into the final four after outclassing Kemps Hill 3-0 at their home field in Santa Cruz and will now play Paul Bogle High, who had a 5-4 win on penalties over St Mary Technical. Both teams were locked at 3-3 after regulation and extra time.

At Jarrett Park, Godfrey Stewart started with more intent, marauding down both flanks as they came within inches of taking the lead in the 17th minute, when a floated pass inside the area brushed the crossbar on its way out.

The game soon developed into a war of attrition as both teams tried to get the upper hand, with crunching tackles and powerful attempts at goal.

Missed chance

McKenzie missed what was arguably the easiest chance of the first half, when the ball sent in from a corner kick missed all players and fell in front of him. However, his attempt at a header barely missed, with the gaping goal at his mercy.

Haughton would make up for that miss in the 59th minute. Battling his way past two opponents, from 25 yards out he then unleashed a powerful shot that sailed low past Obrian Finnikin in the Godfrey Stewart goal to give his team the lead.

Their advantage was doubled in the 64th minute as McKenzie found space in the area to beat Finnikin with another low shot.

"We just want to keep a level head and do what we are capable of doing and with that the title should be ours," Daley said of his Green Pond team.

Yesterday's Results

STETHS 3, Kemps Hill 0

Manchester 1, Clarendon College 0

Green Pond 2, Godfrey Stewart 0

Paul Bogle 3, St Mary Technical 3

(Paul Bogle won 5-4 on penalties)
Posted: Wednesday, October 23, 2013 9:56:26 PM

Groups: Member

Joined: 1/5/2005
Posts: 309
Points: 1,122
Manchester High defeat Green Pond 1-0 in Ben Francis KO

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 | 5:47 PM

Print this page Email A Friend!

ST ELIZABETH, Jamaica -- Manchester High School reached the final of the Ben Francis knock-out football competition for rural schools when they defeated Green Pond High School 1-0 in Santa Cruz Wednesday afternoon.

Kason Clarke scored the winner in the 31st minute.

Manchester High will now meet STETHS in the final on Saturday.

STETHS rallied from a two-goal deficit to beat Paul Bogle High 3-2 at Clarendon Park.

Read more: jamaicaobserver.com/sport/Manchester-High-defeat-Green-Pond-1-0-in-Ben-Francis-KO
Posted: Sunday, October 27, 2013 9:44:25 AM

Groups: Member

Joined: 1/5/2005
Posts: 309
Points: 1,122
Four — peat!

STETHS blank Manchester High 2-0 for fourth straight Ben Francis KO title

BY PAUL A REID Observer writer

Sunday, October 27, 2013

Print this page Email A Friend!

SANTA CRUZ, St Elizabeth — The venue was different, but the result was the same as St Elizabeth Technical High School (STETHS) repeated their ISSA/LIME Ben Francis Knockout victory over Manchester High, winning 2-0 to extend their record for consecutive titles to four.

Two years ago STETHS beat Manchester 2-1 in Montego Bay for what was their second hold on the trophy, and they extended their winning streak over the Sheldon Davis-coached team to five straight.

[Hide Description] Manchester High’s Delroy Miller shields the ball away from Donjay Smith of STETHS during their Ben Francis KO final at the STETHS Sports Complex yesterday. (PHOTOS: PAUL REID)
[Restore Description]

The irrepressible Khesanio Hall in the 50th minute, scoring in every game for STETHS so far this season, and Donjay Smith in the 74th were the scorers yesterday, in what looked to be an easier win than was expected.

Manchester High had conceded just one goal this season coming into the game, going 12 consecutive games until they conceded two in the space of 24 minutes to extend their drought of not winning a major football title.

STETHS coach Omar Wedderburn, who described himself as the “special one”, said he was pleased with how his players approached the game yesterday.

“They set this title as one of their objectives and went after it and I am just happy to be able to guide them,” he said. Wedderburn said half-time adjustments were key to them winning the title, using more flank play in the second half.

A distraught-looking Davis said after a good first half his Manchester High team was “flat” in the second half and did not respond when STETHS came at them.

He said mistakes in the defence also led to their demise. After using most of the first half to adjust, the full-to-overflowing venue was expecting an explosive second half, but it was the marauding STETHS team that dominated the second 45 minutes, as Manchester were forced back in their own half for long periods.

On the few occasions they went forward, however, Manchester looked dangerous, but failed to capitalise, having what appeared to be a goal called back.

Five minutes into the second half Rohan Lindsay dribbled to the left corner flag then found the unmarked Hall with a perfect cross that the big striker headed powerfully past goalkeeper Nicholas King, as the partisan crowd erupted.

STETHS came close to adding a second goal in the 63rd minute, but his pile-driver from about 30 yards was tipped for a corner. Another foray down the wing in the 74th minute, this time by Hall, who picked out Smith on the other wing, and he obliged by blasting the ball past King into the far corner.

The second goal knocked the fight out of Manchester, all but giving STETHS a free run at them, and Hall almost made it 3-0, but his powerful long-range shot in the 78th minute was saved on the second try by King

Read more: jamaicaobserver.com/sport/football/Four---peat-#ixzz2ivjcArzj
Users browsing this topic

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS