Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Forum Login

And in the rest of the world... Options
1blackbeauty
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2010 7:48:54 AM

Groups: Member

BLANTYRE, Malawi – A judge sentenced a couple to the maximum 14 years in prison with hard labor under Malawi's anti-gay legislation, and crowds jeered the two men as they were driven from the court house to jail Thursday.

The harsh sentence for unnatural acts and gross indecency had been expected after the same judge convicted Tiwonge Chimbalanga and Steven Monjeza earlier this week under laws dating from the colonial era. The case has drawn international condemnation, and sparked a debate on human rights in this conservative southern African country.

Chimbalanga, a 20-year-old hotel janitor, and his unemployed partner were arrested Dec. 27, the day after they celebrated their engagement with a party at the hotel where Chimbalanga worked — an apparent first in Malawi.

"Maximum sentences are intended for use for worst cases," Magistrate Nyakwawa Usiwa Usiwa said as he delivered his sentence. "We are sitting here to represent the Malawi society which I do not believe is ready at this point in time to see its sons getting married to other sons or conducting engagement ceremonies."

The lawyer for the two, Mauya Msuku, said they would appeal.

Chimbalanga remained composed as armed police officers handcuffed him to Monjeza.

"I am not worried," he told reporters as they were taken to a police vehicle.

Monjeza broke down upon hearing the ruling and was still sobbing as he was helped into the van.

Hundreds of onlookers inside and outside the court house showed little sympathy. There were shouts of "You got what you deserve!" and "Fourteen years is not enough, they should get 50!"

Michelle Kagari, deputy Africa director of Amnesty International called the sentence "an outrage."

Her rights watchdog has adopted Chimbalanga and Monjeza as prisoners of conscience, and would "continue to campaign on this matter and to work tirelessly to see that they are released unconditionally as soon as possible," Kagari told The Associated Press by telephone from her office in Kampala, Uganda.

Mark Heywood, director of the South Africa-based AIDS Law Project called the sentence "outrageous and a violation of human rights." He said activists should hold protests around the world against Malawi.

Malawi's government has been defiant in the face of international criticism over the couple's prosecution.

Betsy Chirambo, an adviser to President Bingu wa Mutharika, expressed concern over calls by some activists for the West to withdraw aid to Malawi because of the case. Up to 40 percent of Malawi's development budget comes from foreign donors.

"It is not our culture for a man to marry a man," Chirambo said this week. "That is not even in our constitution. Some of these rights are not good for our culture."

The government has been backed by religious leaders in the country who have equated homosexuality with Satanism.

But the debate also has emboldened some rights activists in the southern African country. The independent Centre for the Development of People was recently formed by Malawians to fight for the rights of homosexuals and other minorities.

Gift Trapence, executive director of the Centre for the Development of People, was at the court house Thursday and told reporters: "How can they get 14 years simply for loving one another? Even if they are jailed for 20 years you can't change their sexuality."

Gay people forced underground in Africa are unlikely to seek counseling and treatment for AIDS, activists say. In Malawi, nearly 1 million people — an estimated 12 percent of the population — are living with HIV, the virus that causes AIDS.

Homosexuality is illegal in at least 37 countries in Africa including Malawi. In Uganda, lawmakers are considering a bill under which homosexuals could be sentenced to life in prison and "repeat offenders" could be executed. Even in South Africa, the only African country that recognizes gay rights, gangs have raped lesbians.

1blackbeauty
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2010 7:51:53 AM

I am just really struggling to understand.
I am really am.
It is not in 'their culture'....to be homosexual?
Whose culture is it exactly?
I just really want to know, why people can not just live their lives...and answer for their own sins?

When is my redeemer coming to get his faithful? Because clearly...governments and cultures feel they can do the judging and punishing..as if they were GOD himself.

If YOU are going to judge and punish...why do you need a GOD?

The questions are hypothetical. The topic mere food for thought.
hungrymanxx
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2010 8:52:09 AM

Most of these African countries are homophobic societies. There cultures, laws, and religions see same sex relationships as a crime against God and humanity. Many of these cultures believe that gays can cause their countries to be plagued with severe natural disasters, and serious economic decline. Their God condemns gays and there are scriptures in the bible that say that gays should be put to death. Many people in the West share these same beliefs.

In many western societies homosexuals have gained good education and economic empowerment and so they are able to influence change in attitudes and behavior towards gays. I believe majority of the people in societies around the world are antigay.

I think homosexuals should put all their resources together and get out of hetersexuals societies and get there own country where they will be free to be what they want to be. However, I don't endorce violence against gays.
1blackbeauty
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2010 10:55:42 AM

hungrymanxx wrote:
Most of these African countries are homophobic societies. There cultures, laws, and religions see same sex relationships as a crime against God and humanity. Many of these cultures believe that gays can cause their countries to be plagued with severe natural disasters, and serious economic decline. Their God condemns gays and there are scriptures in the bible that say that gays should be put to death. Many people in the West share these same beliefs.

In many western societies homosexuals have gained good education and economic empowerment and so they are able to influence change in attitudes and behavior towards gays. I believe majority of the people in societies around the world are antigay.

I think homosexuals should put all their resources together and get out of hetersexuals societies and get there own country where they will be free to be what they want to be. However, I don't endorce violence against gays.

That is a good point...I just can't buy it.
Hmm..In the bible..I can not remember who it was at this moment..but God delivered the land to one of the 12 tribes..and one brazen soul, disobeyed God's order...when he told them to destroy all the riches that they confiscated..he instead, kept some for himself..hiding them in his tent. God had him, his wife, their kids, everyone in their family stoned to death. Even those who knew nothing of what he did. God, destroyed this man's bloodline in a moment!

So, I ask. Why do these people need a GOD? God, destroyed Sodom and Gommorrah. God destroyed the earth with a flood. GOD. GOD ALONE.
It makes me mad, for people to feel like, cleansing the world of homosexuals is doing God's will...But these are people who believe if they have HIV and have sex with virgins, they will be cured.
Did God tell them to do that?
I am just wondering.
Did God tell them to abuse their people, and create Genocides that killed hundreds of thousands of people in 30 days?
Did GOd tell them to do that?

It is funny, how those sins, are not mentioned.
I am glad you do not condone the hatred.

As I questioned..why do these people need a GOD? They are the judge jury and executioner all in one.
Funny.

But when God tires of something..he destroys it. Not just for one thing they did..But for a multitude of them. Soddom and GOmmorah did more than be a homosexual society. They were evil...GOd said there was not but one family there, that deserved to be saved.
LOL...homosexuality is a sin..like murder..like pure disobedience.

We have a Jesus, A Saviour, that died on the cross, for our sins..He gave us a Holy Spirit to confess our sins to God...GOD ALONE.
Just like a man confesses cheating on his wife, a homosexual can confess that sin too. God will forgive if it is humble and true.

But somehow...God's law..is not good enough for these people.

We need Batty Man Fi Dead...LOL...Lord Have Mercy on us all.
I am off my soapbox now.

hungrymanxx
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2010 11:53:58 AM

I am not going to be judge, jury, and executioner for gays. I am not qualify for that position. There are lots of theories out there about what cause people to become homosexuals. I don't think anyone really knows. One of my friend told me that her homosexual boyfriend cried to her and told her that he wish if he could be attracted to women. This means that not all gays want to be gays and it seems like some of them have no control over their choice.

What I do know is that for the human race to continue existing we need people who are hetrosexuals. Same sex relationships cannot produce kids. Same sex relationship can cause the human race to become extinct. Researchers say Gay men have the highest HIV infection rate in the USA.
1blackbeauty
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2010 2:35:04 PM

hungrymanxx wrote:
I am not going to be judge, jury, and executioner for gays. I am not qualify for that position. There are lots of theories out there about what cause people to become homosexuals. I don't think anyone really knows. One of my friend told me that her homosexual boyfriend cried to her and told her that he wish if he could be attracted to women. This means that not all gays want to be gays and it seems like some of them have no control over their choice.

What I do know is that for the human race to continue existing we need people who are hetrosexuals. Same sex relationships cannot produce kids. Same sex relationship can cause the human race to become extinct. Researchers say Gay men have the highest HIV infection rate in the USA.

LOL....I like that...We need people who are heterosexuals...True.
All of what you said is true..except for the HIV thing...I think that title is held by Heterosexual black women.
Not sure though..I would have to double check.

I said this before..but there is a theory that I believe..that men were infected with HIV while in prison...the government administered shots to these men, infecting them...and thus..causing the HIV crisis we have today...
It can happen...
People get in line every year to get 'flu vaccines'....since when did I need a vaccine to ward off the flu? But, people go and get the shots, not sure what they are getting, but they go get it, because the government said they should.

And oh yes..the American Government is capable of such a thing...look at the experiment done in Tuskegee...the men they infected with syphyllis..look at the black woman from ALabama...she was dying of cancer and they took her cells..and used them in numerous experiments, because her cells would not die..so they studied her...and did not even tell her family....it was leeked out...40 years after her death...lol...yeah..anything is possible.
hungrymanxx
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2010 2:40:49 PM

The HIV thing is true 1blackbeauty. Did you know that HIV is easily transmitted through anal sex than viginal sex? This is why gays have the highest infection rate.
1blackbeauty
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2010 2:48:41 PM

hungrymanxx wrote:
The HIV thing is true 1blackbeauty. Did you know that HIV is easily transmitted through anal sex than viginal sex? This is why gays have the highest infection rate.
Gangsta P
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2010 7:14:58 PM

hungrymanxx wrote:

Tru I was reading this bronx newspaper an it was saying that so many women in the bronx is contracting HIV thru anal sex. More women are having anal sex then before an they are more likely not to use protection when having anal sex then gay men. Transmitting HIV is som much easier thru tha butt. Alarming numbers an its skyrocketing btwn the ages of 18-26.

WTF i mean im not against gays but leave mah ass alone. Thats one thing i cant do..
hungrymanxx
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2010 7:55:23 PM

Why is that anal sex is becoming so popular in the USA Gangsta P ?
1blackbeauty
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2010 11:12:04 PM

hungrymanxx wrote:

LOL.....it is not new here in the USA...it is new to BLACK FOLKS....
white folks been doing the shit for years.....
hungrymanxx
Posted: Friday, May 21, 2010 8:14:16 AM

I just can't understand why someone would choose to do anal sex when vaginal sex is so sweeeeeeeeeeet. This is a weird world we live in.
Gangsta P
Posted: Friday, May 21, 2010 11:25:46 AM

1blackbeauty wrote:
hungrymanxx wrote:

LOL.....it is not new here in the USA...it is new to BLACK FOLKS....
white folks been doing the shit for years.....

lol tru BB..
count
Posted: Friday, May 21, 2010 5:44:26 PM

WOW BLACKBEAUTY1,YOU SURE AS HELL LUBB JAMAICA CHAT,YOU HERE ALL THE TIME,HOPEFULLY MY HARD WORKIN ASS IS NOT SUPPORTIN YOU WIDD A BIG FAT WELFARE CHECK EACH MONTH...THINK YOU SAID YOU EVEN FIND MAN DOWN A YARD,WELL MUSS BE TIVOLI MAN OR ONE ODDA GARRISON DWELLER,CAUSE NO SANE JAMAICAN FAMBILY AINT GONNA WELCOME NO BLAK MERICAN IN THERE..SPECIALLY THE UNEDUCATED POOR BLAK MERICAN..TRUSS ME..
1blackbeauty
Posted: Saturday, May 22, 2010 2:34:42 PM

count wrote:
WOW BLACKBEAUTY1,YOU SURE AS HELL LUBB JAMAICA CHAT,YOU HERE ALL THE TIME,HOPEFULLY MY HARD WORKIN ASS IS NOT SUPPORTIN YOU WIDD A BIG FAT WELFARE CHECK EACH MONTH...THINK YOU SAID YOU EVEN FIND MAN DOWN A YARD,WELL MUSS BE TIVOLI MAN OR ONE ODDA GARRISON DWELLER,CAUSE NO SANE JAMAICAN FAMBILY AINT GONNA WELCOME NO BLAK MERICAN IN THERE..SPECIALLY THE UNEDUCATED POOR BLAK MERICAN..TRUSS ME..

LOL>.....I LOVE IT!!!!
What kind of work do you do? Please tell me!
I am curious to know, what manor of person...can not even write in proper english or patois...I am curious as to what kind of job you hold!

And oh, I am far from uneducated...you make yourself look stupid, by allowing those words to come on the screen....

And I AM PROBABLY SIGNING YOUR CHECKS...
I mean...clearly, I have the money to travel and do the things you can not do...and you work so hard to have nothing too.
pity.
1blackbeauty
Posted: Saturday, May 22, 2010 2:38:15 PM

Oh wait.
I know..you are jealous, because either you can not afford a computer of your own, or you can not pay to keep the internet on..
Tell me...are you using an internet cafe now?
Trying to hurry up and do all your on line business before your 30 minutes is up?

I have 3 laptops..I will send you one of mine.