Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Forum Login

SHOULD WE FEEL SORRY FOR THE HOMELESS? Options
bigbodygal1
Posted: Saturday, July 4, 2009 7:46:54 PM

Groups: Member

I DON'T REALLY KNOW HOW THE HOMELESS MATTER IS DEALT WITH IN JAMAICA, BUT HERE...AT LEAST IN FLORIDA, THEY ARE AT STOP LIGHTS, GAS STATIONS, AND EVEN AS YOU COME OFF OF THE HIGHWAY, THEY ARE THERE HOLDING THESE SIGNS BEGGING FOR CHANGE (OR THE CLASSIC ONE...WILL WORK FOR FOOD). BEING THE GOOD HEARTED PERSON THAT I AM, I HATE TO SEE SUFFERATION, BUT ONE NIGHT I WAS WATCHING THE NEWS, AND THE NEWS LADY FOLLOWED ONE BEGGAR WITHOUT THEM KNOWING. THE LADY STOOD ON THE CORNER AND BEGGED FOR HOURS WITH CRASH VICTIM COLLAR AROUND HER NECK, WALKING WITH A LIMP. DO U KNOW THAT AS THE LADY WAS FINISHED, SHE PULL OFF THE COLLAR, TURNED OFF THE LIMP AND JUMPED INTO A MERCEDES BENZ? FROM THEN ON, I LOOKED AT THE WHOLE HOMELESS THING DIFFERENTLY. I COULDN'T BELIEVE PEOPLE WOULD STOOP SO LOW, SO NOW WHEN I PULL UP AT THE LIGHT, I EXPLAIN TO THEM THAT WHILE THEY ARE HOLDING THAT SIGN, THERE ARE APARTMENTS AND FURNITURE STORES THAT WILL PAY THEM TO STAND OUT AND ADVERTISE THEIR SIGNS. HELL, IF U ARE GOING TO HOLD A SIGN, GET PAID FOR IT...LOL! WHAT ARE YOUR VIEWS ON HOMELESSNESS, AND I KNOW THINGS ARE DIFFERENT IN JA, PLS SHARE THEM.
honeybee222
Posted: Saturday, July 4, 2009 8:16:13 PM

Some people used the term "HOMELESSNESS" as a way to get one over on us.Then there are the ones who are delt the wrong card in life and end up on the street. The mentally ill are a nother story.It break my heart to see them. I live in New York, so I know how to tell who is who, if one cant they havent lived in NY for a long time. So to answer your question, how do I feel about homeless people? I think more should be done by the States to help them.It breaks my heart into peaces to see them, and hope and pray that my life don't come to that. Don't forget bigbodygal1, we are all a pay check away from been homeless.
bigbodygal1
Posted: Saturday, July 4, 2009 8:28:39 PM

honeybee222 wrote:
Some people used the term "HOMELESSNESS" as a way to get one over on us.Then there are the ones who are delt the wrong card in life and end up on the street. The mentally ill are a nother story.It break my heart to see them. I live in New York, so I know how to tell who is who, if one cant they havent lived in NY for a long time. So to answer your question, how do I feel about homeless people? I think more should be done by the States to help them.It breaks my heart into peaces to see them, and hope and pray that my life don't come to that. Don't forget bigbodygal1, we are all a pay check away from been homeless.

U ARE SO RIGHT...BUT I KNOW THAT HERE IN FLORIDA, THERE ARE ALOT OF PROGRAMS THAT ARE WILLING TO ASSIST PEOPLE BUT THERE'S ALOT OF EFFORT THAT U HAVE TO PUT INTO THEM AND SOME PEOPLE ARE NOT WILLING TO TAKE THE STEPS. I KNOW THAT DRUGS AND MENTAL HEALTH IS A BIG FACTOR IN HOMELESSNESS. I HAVE WORKED AT A MENTAL INSTITUTION AND A HOMELESS SHELTER, AND HONESTLY, SOME PEOPLE JUST DON'T WANT TO BE FOUND. THEY ARE HOMELESS BY CHOICE. THERE WAS A LADY AT THE SHELTER WHO USED TO BE A SCHOOL TEACHER, HER HAIR WAS MATTED, AND SHE WOULD DRESS IN AN OVERCOAT, EVEN WHEN IT WAS HOT. COME TO FIND OUT, SHE WAS COLLECTING FROM THE GOV'T AND HAD 2 OR 3 DIFFERENT BANK ACCTS. BUT WAS NOT PAYING HER $1 A DAY FEE FOR THE SHELTER. THEY PULLED HER RECORDS, GAVE HER AN OPPORTUNITY, AND SHE REFUSED TO PAY THEM SO THEY TOLD HER THAT SHE HAD TO LEAVE. I THINK SHE HAS MENTAL ISSUES, BUT SHE TALKS WITH SENSE, SO I'M NOT SURE...I HEAR THAT SHE HAS FAMILY AND EVERYTHING BUT WANTS TO LIVE IN THE STREETS.
honeybee222
Posted: Saturday, July 4, 2009 9:15:59 PM

Gangsta Princess wrote:
honeybee222 wrote:

lol thats so true about the paycheck thing. B4 I get paid my check is spent dont know how that happens lol

That's no lie, before i get my check i think about all the things i have to do with this check. Rent, utility ect. And then you wonder what the hell!!
Ms. Weede
Posted: Sunday, July 5, 2009 10:05:22 AM

NOT TO BE CRUEL,
BUT MY QUESTION IS, HOW DOES A PERSON BECOME HOMELESS?
I KNOW PEOPLE GO THROUGH HARD TIMES, BUT WHERE ARE THE FAMILY AND FRIENDS?
THERE ARE SOOOOO MANY PROGRAMS FOR PEOPLE THAT ARE REALLY "DOWN AND OUT", BUT MOST DON'T WANT TO TAKE THE TIME TO COMPLETE THE PAPERWORK.
THERE ARE MANY OUTREACH PROGRAMS FOR WOMEN AND CHILDREN.
ONE THING THAT I WOULD LIKE TO SEE HAPPEN HERE IN AMERICA IS RANDOM DRUG TESTING FOR ALL OF THOSE THAT RECEIVE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS. IF THEY TEST POSITIVE, TAKE IT AWAY IMMEDIATELY AND THOSE FUNDS CAN GO TO ANOTHER NEEDY PERSON. POVERTY IS ABUNDANT HERE.
WHAT I DO NOTICE IS THAT MOST OF THE HOMELESS PEOPLE ARE MENTALLY UNSTABLE, PHYSICALLY CHALLENGED OR HAVE SOME TYPE OF DISABILITY. THAT IS SHAMEFUL. BUT TO GET THE HELP, YOU HAVE TO SEEK IT. HOMELESS PEOPLE COMMITT A PETTY CRIME TO GO TO JAIL JUST TO HAVE "3 HOTS AND A COT". THEY CALL 911 JUST TO GO TO THE HOSPITAL TO GET A COOL ROOM AND FOOD. IT IS ALL REALLY TRAGIC. I WOULD NEVER GIVE ANYONE HOLDING A SIGN MONEY, BUT I WOULD BUY THEM FOOD.

bigbodygal1
Posted: Sunday, July 5, 2009 3:29:03 PM

I AGREE WITH U BOTH MS. WEEDE AND RIGHTEOUS...I STATED THAT B4 MS. WEEDE ABOUT PROGRAMS AND PEOPLE NOT WANTING TO GO THROUGH THE STEPS THAT AMERICA WANTS U TO TAKE TO RECEIVE ASSISTANCE. THERE IS QUITE OF A PERIOD THAT U HAVE TO WAIT TO RECEIVE THE ASSISTANCE ONCE U APPLY, BUT WOMEN OR MEN WITH CHILDREN CAN OBTAIN FASTER SERVICES. I DO AGREE THAT WE ARE ALL A PAYCHECK FROM BEING HOMELESS, BUT I SIT AND THINK ABOUT WHAT WOULD I DO IF THINGS COME TO ME DAMN NEAR LOSING IT ALL. FIRST OF ALL, I HAVE KIDS, SO I KNOW I CAN CONTACT CHILDREN AND FAMILIES FOR SOME KIND OF ASSISTANCE. IF A LAST RESORT, I WOULD HAVE TO PLACE MY KIDS THERE TEMPORARILY TIL I CAN FIND A PLACE AND A JOB...GOD FORBID THESE THINGS, BUT IT REALLY MAKES ME WONDER. DISABLED PEOPLE SHOULD BE ABLE TO GET ANYTHING THEY NEED FROM THE GOV'T. MOST OF THEM WERE WAR VETERANS, BUT THEY CAN ALSO GET SSI AND A GOV'T ASSISTED APARTMENT. ALOT OF THESE PEOPLE CHOOSE TO LIVE ON THE STREETS I THINK...
Ms. Weede
Posted: Sunday, July 5, 2009 11:28:32 PM

I WISH POVERTY AND HOMELESSNESS WERE NOT SO ABUNDANT HERE
BUT WHAT CAN YOU DO?
AMERICA IS "THE MELTING POT"
THERE ARE SOOOOO MANY PEOPLE HERE
AND JUST NOT ENOUGH JOBS FOR EVERYONE
IT IS SAD, YET TRUE

Mr. Man
Posted: Tuesday, July 7, 2009 1:14:28 AM

Believe it or not, we do not have a homeless problem in Jamaica. Everyone is able to get a few sheet of zinc and board and nail up something on some body land and go under it. The only homeless there is in Jamaica are the mentally ill (mad ppl) When I came to live in NY and saw the amount of sane ppl who are homeless it makes me wonder, is this America?. The government is doing something to ease the homeless problem but it is the wrong thing. They need to control the price of rent in NY. Every fucking year or two you rent goes up by 30 to 60 % while your salary increase by 3 fucking per cent. Do we need a mathecian to see that will total to desaster?
1blackbeauty
Posted: Sunday, July 12, 2009 11:13:11 PM

Ironically, I do not see many homeless people in the South, as I do
in the North....(Alabama and Chicago)

In the south, Black people help one another. If Mr. Charlie's wife
dies, the neighborhood chips in and make sure he eats, his house is
clean, runs errands for him. The community helps each other. If a
person is on drugs and needs a place to stay, family understands, that you have it rough, and they get you help..the community, the
churches,they help you weather the storm...

In the North...ain't nothing going on but the rent..If you fall on
hard times, people make you feel bad for needing help...including family..I have family in CHicago, that flipped the script, and do not
act the same as they did when they were in Alabama..the meaning of
family went out the door, and it is every man for himself.

Shelters and the YWCA, YMCA offer warm beds and hot showers for the
homeless...There are steps you can take, to get off the streets. If you are disabled, the government gives you a check each month, to help care for you. Disability is like $700 a month? Most times, these
people are on drugs and the checks are mailed out to family who just
take advantage of them and spend their money.

Somewhere along the way, people get lost, and it takes someone who is
caring and understanding to help them get back to the people they were.

But people just do not have time for other people anymore.

Mr. Man
Posted: Monday, July 13, 2009 2:10:34 AM

Sincerelyyours, I hate when ppl gave out wrong information, well let me correct that, maybe that is what happening now but those ppl you discribe in downtown Kingston I remember them clearly as ppl of unsound mind, ppl who eat from the garbage bins, who roast dog for a meal, dress in dirty rags, are you saying these ppl or jus homeless?. Maybe you want to come to NY and see what homeless means. I have one guy who work for me, after work he ride the train until it is time to get back to work he take a shower in the locker room and back on duty again. He got kicked out his apartment because he could not afford the rent, his wife and kids was taken into shelter, not him. I will say this again, I left Jamaica 14 years ago, but I visit once or twice every year and I can say homeless situation does not exist in Jamaica except for the mentally ill. You want to see homeless family, come to NYC.
alexandra
Posted: Monday, July 13, 2009 5:14:43 PM

Another 'great city' where homelessness appears to be quite entrenched is London. Most of which stem from very high cost of living.
1blackbeauty
Posted: Monday, July 13, 2009 6:33:35 PM

Mr. Man wrote:
Sincerelyyours, I hate when ppl gave out wrong information, well let me correct that, maybe that is what happening now but those ppl you discribe in downtown Kingston I remember them clearly as ppl of unsound mind, ppl who eat from the garbage bins, who roast dog for a meal, dress in dirty rags, are you saying these ppl or jus homeless?. Maybe you want to come to NY and see what homeless means. I have one guy who work for me, after work he ride the train until it is time to get back to work he take a shower in the locker room and back on duty again. He got kicked out his apartment because he could not afford the rent, his wife and kids was taken into shelter, not him. I will say this again, I left Jamaica 14 years ago, but I visit once or twice every year and I can say homeless situation does not exist in Jamaica except for the mentally ill. You want to see homeless family, come to NYC.

I find that hard to believe sir. If there are no homeless in Jamaica,

then every other nation needs to study and find out what Jamaica

is doing, and they are not.
honeybee222
Posted: Monday, July 13, 2009 7:00:06 PM

sincerelyyours wrote:
Mr. Man. There are many homeless persons in Jamaica. Have you ever been downtown Kingston, in the area of the Supreme Court building and the Post Office? and that is just one site. It makes my heart bleed. These don't seem like mentally insane persons they seem simply homeless. As you drive around you do see them lying on the street side or on shop piazzas. Most are men. I've often wondered why.

I know that there are places that assist. The Salvation Army and Father Ho-Lung. Some churches also assist through their outreach programmes. But yet, they are still there.

How do they end up on the streets? Unfortunate circumstances? Poor choices? Retribution?

It really doesn't matter, does it? Whenever I see them I say a prayer for them and for myself with the thought in mind "There but for the grace of God, go I"

What galls me are the career beggars. The couple who walks the plazas begging for assistance on behalf of a football club who just made the semifinals of some competition and needs assistance. The man with a sweet personality who calls to you "Is me, me same one, the garbage man". Smart. How many of us really do know our garbage men.

There is a new one. He walks around near the entrance of a supermarket with a small transparent plastic bag with 3 or 4 julie mangoes. When told that his target doesn't need mangoes, he drops his line: "His daughter just passed GSAT and he's trying to help her so could you make a contribution just the same"

The man who used to operate in the Vineyard town area. He would sit at an intersection on his little motor bike. It had run out of gas and he is so "embaris" to ask for assistance. He was missing for a few years. I saw him lately and as he approached I asked "Your bike still running out of gas?" Oh he was quite polite. He simply turned away from me and went back to his job!

Whenever you're fell sorry for the beggars. Offer them a job and share their responses with this forum.

It takes all kinds ....

"Offer them a job"!! most of us who are harrass by panhandlers are trying to get by on a daily basic or looking for jobs. And the ones who may have a heart to do so just look at them as beggers and bums.For some people are "homeless" by is choice, while others are homeless, because they lost there jobs which leads to them loosing there homes.
Mr. Man
Posted: Monday, July 13, 2009 11:35:32 PM

BB the main reason why there are very little homeless ppl in jamaica is that we have a lot of waste land. Ppl who lose their home will get a few sheet of zinc, some old board and nail up a roof and go under it. Some home have dirt floor, but there is a roof to keep them from the rain and sun. It may not be a luxury but they call it home and they keep it very clean. Then from one person to another and it no time a place that was once all over grown vegetation now become a shanty town. We do have a lot of very poor ppl but not many homeless.
1blackbeauty
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2009 1:21:39 AM

Mr. Man wrote:
BB the main reason why there are very little homeless ppl in jamaica is that we have a lot of waste land. Ppl who lose their home will get a few sheet of zinc, some old board and nail up a roof and go under it. Some home have dirt floor, but there is a roof to keep them from the rain and sun. It may not be a luxury but they call it home and they keep it very clean. Then from one person to another and it no time a place that was once all over grown vegetation now become a shanty town. We do have a lot of very poor ppl but not many homeless.

I see what you are saying...That will not be in America..no such

thing as waste lands or shanty towns...lol...All land is owned by

someone, and they want money for you to occupy it.
honeybee222
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2009 11:49:06 AM

Mr. Man wrote:

I hear ya Mr.Man, when i was growing up in Jamaica i had no clue or knowledge what homeless ment.People who live on the streets were mentally ill, killing and eating animals and once they start taking there medication all is well. I grow up in the country and i've never heard anyone said "i am homeless" because, if they are there always someone to help them. I don't know what it like in the town area. I left JA 20 years ago, things and time are much harder for people to servived,so i can't say there is no such thing as homelessnes in Ja.