Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Forum Login

Track and Field (Senior) News{IAAF Jamaica Invite: Stars impress at Jamaica Invitational} Options
pawilsonjm
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 12:17:50 PM

Groups: Member

Shelly sparkles
Wins 60m dash at Queens/Grace Jackson Meet

BY HOWARD WALKER Observer senior reporter walkerh@jamaicaobserver.com

Sunday, January 26, 2014 2 Comments
Print this page Email A Friend!

Triple Olympic gold medallist Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce (right) speeds to an easy victory in the women’s 60m open at the Queen’s/Grace Jackson Track and Field Meet at the National Stadium yesterday. Fraser-Pryce won in 7.11 seconds ahead of her MVP teammate Carrie Russell (not in picture). At left is Magan Simmonds, of UTech. (PHOTO: BRYAN CUMMINGS).

TRIPLE Olympic gold medallist Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce opened her season in style, easily winning the women's 60m open in 7.11 seconds at the Queen's/Grace Jackson Track and Field Meet at the National Stadium yesterday.

Nesta Carter, the 100m World Championships bronze medallist also made a winning start blowing away the field in 6.52 seconds to highlight the 60th anniversary of the Queen's High School at this the 16th staging of the meet.

Both Fraser-Pryce and Carter are using these races in preparation for the IAAF World Indoor Championships set for Poland in March.

Fraser-Pryce, with her usual bullet start, was never in danger and actually cruised home ahead of the powerful Carrie Russell, her MVP teammate, and Elain Thompson of UTech.

Carter did likewise and won comfortably ahead of his MVP teammate Winston Barnes.

Edino Steele of Racers Track Club lowered the 400m men's open record of 46.90 to 46.75 seconds. Riker Hylton, also of Racers, was second-fastest, winning his heat in 47.74 seconds, with Josef Robertson of Cameron Blazer, third quickest in 47.86.

MVP's Kaliese Spencer easily won the women's 400m open in 51.39 seconds ahead of teammates Anneisha McLaughlin in 52.77, and Christine Day with 53.66 seconds.

The man on a mission, UWI's Federick Dacres, again outclassed the field in the men's discus open with a massive 59.64m, well ahead of his teammate Oshane Harris with 43.47m.

Israel Ramsay of UTech won the girls' Under-20 long jump with a leap of 5.84m, the same as second-placed Adrienne Rose of Wolmer's.

pawilsonjm
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2014 11:07:19 AM

Steele says 4X4 relay is 'Weir' Warren belongs

Thursday, February 13, 2014 4 Comments

Jamaica’s quarter-miler Edino Steele (centre) gives Warren Weir (left) a pat on the back after running an impressive 45.44 seconds at the Camperdown Classic last Saturday. Weir finished fourth in 47.53 behind Blake (right) who clocked 47.20. (PHOTO: BRYAN CUMMINGS)

TOP Jamaican quarter-miler Edino Steele wants 200m sprinter Warren Weir to be included in the mile-relay squad in an effort to break the dominance of the Americans at the World Relays coming in May in The Bahamas.

Steele, who is off to the United Kingdom for an indoor race in Birmingham this Saturday, told the Jamaica Observer that Weir has heart and will enhance the 4x400m relay team.

"After what we did last year in Moscow, I believe that with the team and the pool that we got, with the youngster (Javon Francis) also running 45 last week, with me...it wouldn't be shameful to add Warren Weir in that 4x4 squad," said Steele.

Steele had just won a 400m heat in 45.44 seconds at the Camperdown Classic, and Weir who appeared tired, put in a gutzy run to finish fourth in 47.53 seconds.

"With a guy like that with heart knowing that he can run that fast, I hope the committees and the JAAA can pick the best six or seven guys to go to the championship, so we can do something spectacular against the Americans," he added.

Jamaica had some thrilling and memorable battles with the Americans in the 4x400m, starting back 66 years ago at the London Olympics in 1948.

The legendary Herb McKenley, Arthur Wint, George Rhoden and Les Laing made up the last team that actually defeated the Americans in that event in 1952 en route to a new world record of 3:03.9 minutes. Since then, the Americans have pretty much dominated Jamaica and the world.

But last year, despite playing second fiddle to the Americans, the Jamaican team, which included Rusheen McDonald, Edino Steele, Omar Johnson and schoolboy Javon Francis, stopped the clock in a season-best 2:59.88. The USA, anchored by LaShawn Merritt, won comfortably in 2:58.71.

But the Jamaican team was young and inexperienced and it took a jaw-dropping anchor-leg run of 44.00 seconds by 18-year-old Francis to propel Jamaica from fifth to second in what was voted as the RJR Sports Foundation's People's Choice Performance of the Year.

Lead-off man McDonald was timed at 45.8, Steele followed with 44.21 and Johnson was clocked at 45.5.

With Jermaine Gonzalez out injured again, a pool with Allodin Fothergill, Javere Bell , Errol Nolan and possibly another schoolboy in Martin Manley, Jamaica could be much closer to upsetting the Americans.

Meanwhile, Steele, 27, has his eyes set on representing Jamaica at IAAF World Indoor Championship set for Sepot, Poland in March. Steele has won silver in the 4x400m relay at the 2008 Indoor Championship.

"I am leaving in a couple days and the first race is in Birmingham next week Saturday and with that 45.4... going indoors, I know I can produce another 45," he said last Saturday.

"A friend of mine in Trinidad ran 45.17 indoors and he never beat me, so I believe I can produce better than what he did and improve on that," Steele pointed out.

The Racers athlete has a personal best of 45.38 for the 400m done in July 2012 and believes he is on course to better that this season.

"It's just progression now. I am taking it step by step and do some sub-44s this year.

"The coach (Glen Mills) had told me I am stronger in the past two years working with him and hopefully we can continue to strive for excellence," he noted.
pawilsonjm
Posted: Sunday, March 23, 2014 8:40:42 AM

Blake opens 200m with 20.49secs at UWI Invitational

Opens 200m with 20.49secs at UWI Invitational

Sunday, March 23, 2014

Champion spinter Yohan Blake eases down towards the end of the men’s 200 metres at the UWI Invitational at the Usain Bolt track at Mona in Kingston yesterday. Blake won in 20.49 seconds. (PHOTO: BRYAN CUMMINGS)

DAEGU 100-metre world champion Yohan Blake eased to 20.49 seconds in his first 200m of the season at the UWI Invitational at the Usain Bolt track at Mona, yesterday.

Blake, running out of lane four, was quickly out of the blocks to cover his Racers Track Club teammate in lane six, Daniel Bailey, who finished second overall in 20.79 seconds. Veteran Jamaica 4x100m relay gold medallist Michael Frater clocked 21.58 seconds for eighth overall.

Blake's time was the third fastest this year behind Aldemir DaSilva Junior of Brazil (20.32) and LaShawn Merritt of the USA with 20.42.

"It's my second race of the season and I am feeling good. I am working on my fitness, right now I am 60 per cent and I am really feeling good," beamed Blake.

"I have to give God thanks, as well as the coach; for me to come out here and run 20.4 is really good," he added.

"I ran the curve really slow compared to how I normally run. But my coach told me to take it easy and that's what I did."

Racers Track Club's Schillonie Calvert powered 23.2 seconds to win the women's equivalent ahead of Anastasia LeRoy of Sprintec with 23.25. Shericka Williams of MVP was third in 23.51 seconds.

In the 400m, Ristananna Tracey of Racers outlasted Olympic 100m silver medallist Kerron Stewart, winning in 52.50 seconds. Stewart was second in 53.44 seconds.

Allodin Fothergill was quickest in the men's 400m in 45.94 seconds.

Jowayne Hibbert of UWI, Mona was quickest in the men's collegiate 400m in 47.20 seconds, running out of lane one, while London Olympics 110m hurdles bronze medallist Hansle Parchment was 10th overall in

49.07 seconds.

Darrel Garwood won the men's high jump with 2.15m ahead of David Hall of Exed with 2:10m.

Raymond Brown of GC Foster, with 20.17m, copped the men's shot put ahead of MVP's Odayne Richards with 19.97m. Fredric Dacres of UWI was third with 18.47m.

Dacres won the men's discus throw with 62.05m ahead of Oshane Harris with 51.45m.

GC Foster's Rashaun Hunter captured the women's triple jump with a leap of 11.72m, ahead of Opal James of UWI with 11.42m.

Former Edwin Allen thrower Tara-Sue Barnett of GC Foster easily won the discus with 49.49m ahead of her teammate Debeisha Scarlett with 45.92m.

Jelani Bogle of UWI was well clear of the pack in the men's triple jump with 15.05m. Denroc Dixon of GC Foster was second with 14.35m.

Former KC star Xavier Boland captured the men's pole vault with 4.40m. Christopher Mitchell of Jamaica College was second with 3.60m.

Darlene Lewis of UWI St Augustine campus won the women's javelin with 39.05m. Talieka Nelson of GC Foster was second with 37.47m. Orrin Powell of GC Foster took the men's equivalent with 65.48m.

Diana Caulwell of GC Foster won the women's long jump with a leap of 5.74m ahead of Trudy McCalla

with 5.70m.

UTech's Simoya Campbell easily took the women's 800m in 2:07.46 minutes, well clear of Roxcine Salmon of GC Foster with 2:14.70 minutes.

Janieve Russell of UTech captured the women's 400m hurdles in 58.54 seconds. Racers' Annsert Whyte was quickest in the men's equivalent in 51.33. Josef Robertson won heat one in 52.35 seconds.
pawilsonjm
Posted: Sunday, May 4, 2014 5:20:09 AM

IAAF Jamaica Invite: Stars impress at Jamaica Invitational

Published: Saturday May 3, 2014 | 10:42 pm 0 Comments

Andre Lowe, Senior Staff Reporter

Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce brought the house down at the Jamaica International Invitational inside the National Stadium, showing her class, while taking the women’s 200m in 22.53 seconds.

Fraser-Pryce, the world 100m and 200m champion, won ahead of the American pair Kimberly Duncan, 22.61 and Jeneba Tarmoh, 22.69.

In what was perhaps the most exciting event at the meet, Dominican Republic’s Luguelin Santos edged world champion LaShawn Merritt at the line, winning in a solid 44.82, as the American crossed the line in 44.88. Youssef Al-Masrahi, 44.96, finished third.

Francena McCorory was also impressive in winning the women’s 400m in 50.22, with the Jamaican pair of Stephenie McPherson, 50.58 and Novlene Williams-Mills, 50.90.

Justin Gatlin, as usual slept in his blocks, but the American found his gear in the middle of the race to out-power the rest of the field with a 10.11 clocking, while battling a -1.9 wind.

"It was not a great start for me but I'm happy with what I was able to do in the second phase. This win sets me up really well for the rest of the season and I’m looking forward to that," said Gatlin.

Andrew Fisher, a student at the University of Technology, got the best start of the lot and did enough to hold on to second place in a time of 10.21, with Nesta Carter, taking third place in 10.22.

The women’s race was won by Nigerian Blessing Okagbare, 11.19, who demonstrated raw power to win ahead of Kerron Stewart, 11.32 and Carrie Russell.

"This crowd is amazing," beamed Okagbare. "They give you so much energy and I’m not going to lie, I am not pleased with the time but I am happy for the win."

In the men’s 400m hurdles; a race between the reigning Olympic champions Felix Sanchez and World Champion Jehue Gordon, it was the veteran Felix who crossed the line first in a time of 49.21, with the Trinidadian finishing second in 49.32 after clipping the last hurdle.

The 2013 NCAA champion Kori Carter of the United States, 54.94 took the women’s 400m hurdles ahead of Jamaican Ristananna Tracey, 55.12 and Nickiesha Wilson, 55.61.