Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Forum Login

THE US vs. Christopher Coke Options
1blackbeauty
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2010 8:18:31 AM

Groups: Member

US, Dudus and the law
Published: Tuesday | January 5, 2010

The Editor, Sir:
Like so many Jamaicans, I too have unanswered questions concerning the 'Dudus' Coke affair, together with related issues and do seek informed answers from our legal minds. My understanding is that Coke is sought by the Americans for gun-running and drugs.

1. America is a country where the right to manufacture, trade and bear arms is constitutionally entrenched. But Jamaicans suffer because of that right. Shouldn't those small economies who suffer at the hands of these manufacturers and peddlers of evil unite to denounce the anomaly here? And couldn't there be a case at the highest international court against the manufacturers of these arms, who hide behind their constitu-tion but unscrupulously sell to any and everybody? (I say that cognisant of persons like the one in Florida that the Jamaican police tried to buy ammunition from about two years ago?) Further, if the Americans had put better restrictions on their arms trade, Coke (if found guilty) and others would not have had access to weapons. My New Year's wish is that the rest of the international community would come to a consensus that America and its constitutional right are self-maiming and, worse, are killing us off as well.

2. America grows more marijuana than everywhere else. Some states have decriminalised it and others allow people to buy 'medical marijuana'. In Jamaica, the Rastafarians grow it and use it as their sacrament. But they are Jamaicans and are protected by our laws. Some European countries have decriminalised it. The main international issue seem to be neither ethical nor moral, but cross-border trading.

Trade deal

Consider this hypothesis. If a trade deal in tobacco/marijuana cigarettes or by-products were struck between say, Jamaica and those European countries or California, who would Washington or Brussels interdict at sea? How do we reconcile between the implicit issues? And if we could answer this definitively, shouldn't the interdictors first fight among themselves? Washington vs California - maybe? Brussels vs Netherlands?

I trust that the arguments may advance the philosophy and inequity of international trade. And, lest we wonder, I have never handled the stuff. My eyes water and I cough when I smell it. More-over, as a Christian, I loathe illicit drugs and really do hope that all Jamaicans will find the way out of its entrapment. But I cannot ignore the multilateral double standards to which our world has succumbed. Have a happy New Year.

I am, etc.,

DR STEAD M WILLIAMS

1blackbeauty
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2010 8:24:25 AM

I remembered reading this a while back...and found it so interesting.

If I may rebut...

Yep. We can bear arms in America. LEGALLY. And there are so many stipulations that go along with that. The gun and the bullets can not be together. If the gun is in the glove box, the bullets have to be in the trunk, for example.

If I (who is a legal holder of a .380, and a glock 9) were to allow someone to use my weapons, or if I bought a weapon for someone...and they used it in a crime, I GO TO JAIL FOR 10 YEARS. Even If I bought the weapon as a gift.

There are freedoms that are enjoyed here in the US. Other nations know this. Criminals know this. Are we to suffer, because countries can not keep their criminals in their own lands? We have our hands full trying to prosecute our own criminals, instead of having to track down those from other countries.

Jamaica produces more Marajuana than any other nation. That is a proven fact.

It seems to me, like no one likes to point the finger at themselves.
yes, the US wants Coke. But boy, what people fail to remember or realize, are the Tookie Smiths, and Pablo Escobars that fell before him.
Please stop playing the victim.

if the man is not doing anything incriminating..tell me how he lives the way he does..and has the power he does...If it is all legal...I am sure he will have a lot of Americans on his side...

And with that..you all enjoy your day.
hungrymanxx
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2010 9:13:51 AM

You said "Jamaica produces more Marajuana than any other nation. That is a proven fact".

The statement above is totally false and you need to get your facts right. This a classical example of propaganda. My country already has a very bad reputation around the world please don't make it worse.

I would agree with you if you say that Jamaica produces the best Ganja in the world. Anyway we can disagree and still be friends.

Peace and love
1blackbeauty
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2010 10:46:57 AM

hungrymanxx wrote:
You said "Jamaica produces more Marajuana than any other nation. That is a proven fact".

The statement above is totally false and you need to get your facts right. This a classical example of propaganda. My country already has a very bad reputation around the world please don't make it worse.

I would agree with you if you say that Jamaica produces the best Ganja in the world. Anyway we can disagree and still be friends.

Peace and love

Jamaica is also a transit point for cocaine trafficked from South America, accounting for an estimated 1% of the total documented drug flow to the U.S. The volume of cocaine traffic remains lower than its sub-regional neighbors, and during 2009 Jamaica did not experience a notable increase over the previous year. Jamaica remains the Caribbean's largest producer and exporter of marijuana.

All you have to do, is go to the US Department Of State website...enter Jamaica...and read everything it says about your country..
Good and Bad....proven facts..not just made up mumbo jumbo.

Yeah, we can disagree and still be friends.
Your opinion is your own.
hungrymanxx
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2010 11:28:46 AM

The main reason why illegal drugs are very lucrative is because there is a market for it and the largest market is the USA. The USA and other countries with high drug addiction problems should try and fix their drug abuse problems. This would significantly reduce the demand for illegal drugs. If there is no demand for illegal drugs then there will be no supply.
1blackbeauty
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2010 2:46:43 PM

hungrymanxx wrote:
The main reason why illegal drugs are very lucrative is because there is a market for it and the largest market is the USA. The USA and other countries with high drug addiction problems should try and fix their drug abuse problems. This would significantly reduce the demand for illegal drugs. If there is no demand for illegal drugs then there will be no supply.

Jamaica...they don't have heroin addicts? crack addicts?
I think it seems like such a big problem in the US, because you can fit Jamaican 100 times in the USA.

9 million people in the Chicagoland area alone.
3 to 4 million live on the entire island of Jamaica?
The island is slightly SMALLER than our smallest state...Conneticut.

More people live in our city..than on the whole island..so yeah..it would seem like a big problem..
1blackbeauty
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2010 2:47:20 PM

sincerelyyours wrote:

Okay, argument settled: Jamaica is not the largest producer of marajuana, just the largest producer in the Caribbean.

Cut is having a lyme at his place and he invited all ...

Address: MECK WI RUN SOME TUNE

hope to see you there!!!!

There was no arguement.
Gangsta P
Posted: Saturday, May 22, 2010 12:29:03 PM

[size=7]1BB I kno u was saying there was a travel advisory so I found it an posted it for u: even tho u probably already read this: [/size]

THE US State Department yesterday issued a travel alert for United States citizens travelling to, and for those living and working in Jamaica, in the wake of tension in sections of the city over the pending arrest of Tivoli Gardens strongman Christopher 'Dudus' Coke.

In the meantime, the Canadian and British high commissions have updated 'travel advice' on their websites to warn citizens about the possibility of civil unrest in Kingston.

"Due to ongoing political developments, there is an increased risk of civil disorder and street violence in Kingston and possibly other urban areas in Jamaica. UK citizens are urged to take extra care when travelling away from their homes or hotels," the British High Commission posted on its website.

The Canadian Government, on the other hand, warned its citizens to "exercise extreme caution in downtown areas of Kingston due to the possibility of civil unrest".

"There is a possibility of isolated disturbances, riots, and violence due to ongoing political tensions. The security situation could deteriorate with little or no notice, and the potential for civil unrest and violent clashes remains," the advice said.

Yesterday, US State Department Spokesman Andy Laine told the Observer that the travel alert "will remain in force until May 31". He said the decision to issue the alert reflected the unstable situation existing in a section of the Jamaican capital of Kingston.

Parts of downtown Kingston have remained tense since Monday, after Prime Minister Bruce Golding announced that the authorisation to proceed on the extraditon request by the US for Coke would be signed.

Supporters of Coke, who have vowed to die for him, have since blocked entrances to Tivoli Gardens since a warrant for his arrest was issued by a magistrate on Tuesday.

And the State Department's Laine said that a "travel alert runs for a shorter period than a travel advisory", which is considered to be more serious and lasts longer
1blackbeauty
Posted: Saturday, May 22, 2010 2:24:03 PM

Gangsta P wrote:
[size=7]1BB I kno u was saying there was a travel advisory so I found it an posted it for u: even tho u probably already read this: [/size]

THE US State Department yesterday issued a travel alert for United States citizens travelling to, and for those living and working in Jamaica, in the wake of tension in sections of the city over the pending arrest of Tivoli Gardens strongman Christopher 'Dudus' Coke.

In the meantime, the Canadian and British high commissions have updated 'travel advice' on their websites to warn citizens about the possibility of civil unrest in Kingston.

"Due to ongoing political developments, there is an increased risk of civil disorder and street violence in Kingston and possibly other urban areas in Jamaica. UK citizens are urged to take extra care when travelling away from their homes or hotels," the British High Commission posted on its website.

The Canadian Government, on the other hand, warned its citizens to "exercise extreme caution in downtown areas of Kingston due to the possibility of civil unrest".

"There is a possibility of isolated disturbances, riots, and violence due to ongoing political tensions. The security situation could deteriorate with little or no notice, and the potential for civil unrest and violent clashes remains," the advice said.

Yesterday, US State Department Spokesman Andy Laine told the Observer that the travel alert "will remain in force until May 31". He said the decision to issue the alert reflected the unstable situation existing in a section of the Jamaican capital of Kingston.

Parts of downtown Kingston have remained tense since Monday, after Prime Minister Bruce Golding announced that the authorisation to proceed on the extraditon request by the US for Coke would be signed.

Supporters of Coke, who have vowed to die for him, have since blocked entrances to Tivoli Gardens since a warrant for his arrest was issued by a magistrate on Tuesday.

And the State Department's Laine said that a "travel alert runs for a shorter period than a travel advisory", which is considered to be more serious and lasts longer

Girl yes, I saw this..and now they have extended it to June 21st....so that canceled my June trip...guess I am headed to Antigua.
hungrymanxx
Posted: Saturday, May 22, 2010 9:51:46 PM

I live in Jamaica and I think it is safe to travel. It is not all areas in JA that are plagued with crimes. Some areas are safe. I can sleep with my doors and windows open in my community. The government also place lots of emphasis on keeping tourist areas safe. Most of the crimes in JA involve Jamaican and against Jamaicans and not Jamaican against tourist
Gangsta P
Posted: Saturday, May 22, 2010 10:15:54 PM

hungrymanxx wrote:
I live in Jamaica and I think it is safe to travel. It is not all areas in JA that are plagued with crimes. Some areas are safe. I can sleep with my doors and windows open in my community. The government also place lots of emphasis on keeping tourist areas safe. Most of the crimes in JA involve Jamaican and against Jamaicans and not Jamaican against tourist

I do understand where yur coming from but again u say u live in jamaica we dont. We live in america. The country that is causing all this. I think that it would be in our better judgement not to touch dung during all this. Isolated incidents can occur any an everyweh. Not just in kingston. Thats why the american govt has issued this alert for those traveling not only to kingston but all over jamaica. Plus there are a lot of us that dont go to tourist areas.
Gangsta P
Posted: Saturday, May 22, 2010 10:18:37 PM

BB tru girl I was going for mah bday i was gunna land on tha 15th the day b4 but hell nah im not going. Ppl say oh dont lissen to tha media they outstretch tha truth well this is one time i will be listening
1blackbeauty
Posted: Sunday, May 23, 2010 4:29:12 PM

Gangsta P wrote:
BB tru girl I was going for mah bday i was gunna land on tha 15th the day b4 but hell nah im not going. Ppl say oh dont lissen to tha media they outstretch tha truth well this is one time i will be listening

I was on expedia..and saw so many specials to Antigua..LOL...and hotels are having deals too...once the shit calms down in Ja..I will be back...you know it is my 1st love.