Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Forum Login

NCB, Scotia or COK? Options
1blackbeauty
Posted: Tuesday, September 8, 2009 3:50:14 PM

Groups: Member

I was wondering if anyone knew which one of these banks/credit unions would be good for opening and maintaining an account for business?
honeybee222
Posted: Tuesday, September 8, 2009 4:02:19 PM

Scotia Bank has been around forever!
My mother bank with them...send for the application to have the account open from the States.

NCB I think should also be a great bank to put your money. Don't quote me on this one thought...google them and get their number...talk to an associate who can give you more or better information.
1blackbeauty
Posted: Wednesday, September 9, 2009 12:57:27 PM

Thanks a lot.

Appreciate it...
Lorie
Posted: Friday, September 11, 2009 9:21:54 AM

1blackbeauty wrote:
Thanks a lot.

Appreciate it...

yea i would say scotia/JN and for credit union COK r Churches.
donp
Posted: Tuesday, September 15, 2009 5:31:13 AM

Lorie wrote:
1blackbeauty wrote:
Thanks a lot.

Appreciate it...

silly quetion I know but what is COK?
Freejalove
Posted: Tuesday, September 15, 2009 7:55:13 AM

1blackbeauty wrote:
I was wondering if anyone knew which one of these banks/credit unions would be good for opening and maintaining an account for business?

Most of the major banks in Jamaica are regulated by the central Bank of Jamaica and their funds are insured up to a limit by the governing body of the banking industry backed by the Government of Jamica.

As with all banks no matter where in the world the basis is always the ability to create relationships with the bank one is putting money into or borrowing money from.

Sad to say gone are the days when banking would consider its customers on a one and one personal level. With the explosion of commerce we have seen customers becoming a number for the computer to crank out; banking is no longer personal for person who is not able to invest a substantial amount of money. If you are not investing millions you are not seen as a true customer only a number that can go or stay either way you have little impact on the banks’ bottom line.

BNS, NCB and other financial institutions in Jamaica are as safe as any bank in America or England. You can rest assure that your money will be safe. You stated that you wanted to know for doing business; do you define business as opening of a commercial account or of opening a personal account.

Are you looking to leverage your money with the institution? If that is the case then the credit union will assist you greatly. To benefit from a credit union one has to borrow money which in most case will be the doubling of what they put into the Credit Union. On the other hand most commercial banks will lend to you based on your past interaction with them.

Banks in Jamaica are much safer now than they once were; this might be due to the near collapse of the industry in the late eighties and early nineties.

All investment carries risk, therefore due your due diligence before investing your money. Determine what your risk tolerance is also. Be safe with your banking and your business in Jamaica.
Freejalove
Posted: Tuesday, September 15, 2009 8:03:16 AM

donp wrote:
Lorie wrote:
1blackbeauty wrote:
Thanks a lot.

Appreciate it...

No question is silly if the person asking truly does not know and is seeking the knowledge by asking. COK is the City of Kingston Credit Union.
Freejalove
Posted: Wednesday, September 16, 2009 2:51:35 PM

c010fficer wrote:
donp wrote:
Lorie wrote:
1blackbeauty wrote:
Thanks a lot.

Appreciate it...

hey lighten up what was silly about the question , personally if i think that if you dont have something good to contribute dont say anything at all

The heart of reading is to provide understanding. Obviously you do not understand your own written statement.

Please keep the ignorance to a minimum level and try to fool some of the people. Make sure brain is engaged before opening big mouth.

Reference was made from your statement, "silly question I know but what is COK?"
JUMBI
Posted: Wednesday, September 16, 2009 5:41:55 PM

now thats a weird name for a bank..cok....but scotia bank is canadian base,probably money protected by there system up to 50000 canadian/usa dollars...ncb is local based,but has a good reputation...
1blackbeauty
Posted: Friday, September 18, 2009 12:24:22 PM

Thanks all for the advice....

At the present time I am looking more into Scotia..It seems like they will be better capable of securing my money, and providing me with the best service Internationally.
LuvJahLocs
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 7:21:17 AM

1blackbeauty wrote:

Well Im in NCB and to me they are great...even though im in Massachusetts...I can visit the bank anytime im in NY...and the people are pleasant.